Somebody has been trying to take down EA’s Battlefield 3 servers, and so far it seems like they’re doing a pretty good job of it: following a server crash on Tuesday night, the game’s servers across all platforms have suffered numerous outages, which EA says is the result of an on-going, targeted denial of service attack.
“The current Battlefield 3 outages are a result of activity that appears to be aimed at overwhelming our back-end infrastructure,” an EA rep said in a post on the game’s official forums. “We are working on a variety of solutions to address this problem and are focused on resolution as quickly as possible.”
Battlefield developer DICE took the game’s servers offline earlier this week in order to perform “emergency maintenance” and updates. EA says they’ve managed to mitigate most of the damage from the attack, and they’ve reassured players that no personal info or user data has been compromised. As of right now, EA doesn’t know who is behind the DDOS attack or what their motives are (besides pissing off a bunch of Battlefield players.)
Despite EA’s security measures, the company warns that the availability of online services for BF3 and the Battlelog service might be sporadic until the DDOS attack ends. In the wake of the attack, EA has announced that the game’s double XP event, which was originally scheduled to start today, has been postponed until further notice.