Here’s bad news for those playing Zynga created social games over at Facebook. The company has just announced that they are shutting down 11 game titles which have failed to live up to their expectations. The company is currently implementing cost cutting measures as stocks have dropped to $2.35 which is below its IPO price of $10 set a year ago.
Here are the list of titles that are affected.
- PetVille – Shut down December 30th
- Mafia Wars 2 – Shut down December 30th
- FishVille – Shut down December 5th
- Vampire Wars – Shut down December 5th
- Treasure Isle – Shut down December 5th
- Indiana Jones Adventure World – Closed to new players, shuts down January 14th
- Mafia Wars Shakedown – Pulled from app stores
- Forestville – Pulled from app stores
- Montopia – Shut down December 21st
- Mojitomo – Pulled from app stores
- Word Scramble Challenge – Pulled from app stores
While these games may not affect everyone it has a big impact on people who have invested time and money into these games. Imagine yourself frequently buying in-game items on your favorite game only to have it disappear, that’s just quite frustrating.
Comments from various players include “Please don’t remove petville. I been playing for 4 yrs. and I’M going to miss my pet Jaime….why do you want cause depression for me and others. Why do you want to kill my pet?” as well as “my daughter is heartbroken”.
To numb the pain a little Zynga is offering people who played FishVille, Adventure World and the other titles that got shut down a package of free virtual goods which they can use in other of the company’s games that are still running.
Zynga is well aware of the attachment people have on most of their games but they had to do this in order to save the company. They still have 30 titles spread out across several platforms which include Facebook, iOS and Android.