Famitsu, likely the largest gaming publication in Japan polled its readers about their opinion about the Playstation Vita. The poll got 2400 responses and posted the results in an issue of Weekly Famitsu. The details are after the jump.
On the name, 31% said it was a good name, and 37.5% had no real reaction to it. One responder had commented that he was used to the codename NGP, and another had been hoping they would keep Portable in the name. Consider me in the “Don’t care” crowd.
54.9% of those polled said that the PSV’s price was cheap, which I completely agree with. 23.1% had said it was normal, and 12.9% said it was high. 44.8% said they were planning to buy it on launch and 42.8% said they planned to get it later.
42% will dish out cold hard cash on the 3G/Wi-Fi model whereas the remaining 58% will get the Wi-Fi only model. One respondent had stated he will be looking at the Wi-Fi version because he doesn’t know what carriers will be charging for its use.
They were also polled on the best parts of the system, a part of the poll that allowed for multiple answers.
1,570 said the OLED screen, 1,390 said the PS3 connectivity, 1,200 said the dual touch screens, 1,170 said price, 1,010 said the wireless capabilities, 800 said the sensors, and 790 said the design.
Of the announced games, the ones that gamers most want to play are Uncharted, Gravity Daze, and Hot Shots Golf, each getting 190-270 votes. There was also interest in Monster Hunter, Final Fantasy, and Metal Gear Solid appearing on the Vita, followed by Kingdom Hearts and the Tales series. Out of all developers however, they were looking forward to Capcom putting out new titles in an amount double that of Square Enix.
From this poll, you can tell the PSV is going to be a huge hit in Japan from the satisfaction of the price with around half of those surveyed considering this a day one purchase. I always panned the PSP for not being very innovative, but the Vita has a massive amount of potential similar to what the DS had when it launched.