On Wednesdays I spend my time looking for a digital buffet of gaming goodies – I post them here on the Humpday Bump.
In keeping with this week’s theme the Humpday Bump has got a few E3 related goodies in it this week, including the trailer for a video game inspired movie called Wreck-It Ralph. I’m assuming its E3 related because it’s about a game, a fact I’m sure Walt Disney Pictures was aware of when they chose to release the trailer this week. It’s about a video game villain named Wreck-It Ralph who’s quite frankly tired of “wrecking it”. You can view the trailer for the movie after the jump; also did I mention John C. Reilly? Woo-hoo!
- John C. Reilly stars as Wreck-it Ralph in the movie of the same name. It’s about a video game villain who decides to he’s tired of being the bad guy all the time, deciding to leave his game in search of another. It looks like a pretty good premise which only really works if you have some video game characters, which it does. You’ll probably notice a few, including Zangief from the Street Fighter series. They spared no expense to make this movie, he’s not some fake lookalike named Sangief or something; it’s legit, he’s Zangief.
- I don’t know how I feel about this one. Reggie from Nintendo was zombiefied during their E3 press conference, and is it me or does it look like Reggie’s never actually seen the tech before? I mean, the guy who is narrating is clearly trying to get him to move on, but Reggie is fascinated by the thing. It was getting some laughs, so maybe he was just milking it. Up until then no one really made a peep during Nintendo’s E3 performance.
- Oh goodie, it’s an infographic, I love these. This one’s by Newzoo and it pretty much outlines how many tablets are out there, ready for some love with Microsoft’s SmartGlass technology. They’re really just focusing on what this “second screen” technology can do, and how many people are potentially in the market. According to them 41% of the 70 million Xbox users out there play games on some form of tablet, more than half of which are iPads. Ok, maybe this isn’t a fad anymore.
- Joystiq has some images of Colonial Marines, the latest game in the Alien (or is it Alien vs. Predator at this point?) franchise. I’m not really blown away to be quite honest, I mean the setting is the same, looking again like some sort of trashed abandoned futuristic colony. The last few Aliens vs. Predator games didn’t have any real visual problems; they just never seemed to come together gameplay wise. Most revolved around multiplayer which it turns out is difficult to balance with three completely different Alien races, not to mention keeping everything in line with the canon. This one’s just about the Marines though, so I won’t spend the entirety of my experience hiding in corners.
- Finally, if you haven’t played any of the South Park games that have come out recently you should. I definitely spent more time than I’d like to admit playing South Park Let’s Go Tower Defense Play. It was actually a really well put together tower defense game, and I should know, I play a lot of them. This time they’ve made what looks like a fully fledged, yet still incredibly vulgar, South Park RPG game called The Stick of Truth. There isn’t any gameplay, but it does look like you’ll be able to create your own character to travel with the South Park gang. Oh judging by how many curses were in the trailer I’m guessing the game is not going to be for children.
There is actually some gameplay in that South Park video, all the side view fighting scenes are in game actions. They just made it look a LOT like the show.