Humpday Bump: Late Night Portal Swag Edition
Posted By: Dave Bast In: Gaming News, PC, Tech On: 09 May
On Wednesdays I spend my time looking for a digital buffet of gaming goodies – I post them here on the Humpday Bump.
Today’s bump features a look at NECA’s next foray into bringing the Portal franchise to our reality with P-body’s Official Portal Device Replica. Apparently the original replica was so popular that NECA has decided to crank out 5,000 more units of the co-op version. This means that those looking to turn a profit over at E-bay will have to start coming up with less dimension splitting prices.
- I don’t know what’s cooler; the fact that there are different versions of portal gun replicas or that NECA makes them in the first place. Clearly there is a market for them as they sell for hundreds, if not a thousand bucks on E-bay. Also, due to their partnership with Valve, they get to use official music in their trailer.
- Finally, instead of having to spend hours grinding away at this game I can finally get to the good part. Thanks Reddit!
- Tired of all of those subtly-sexual Leisure Suit Larry themed titles popping up all over the blogosphere? Me neither, and thanks to Al Lowe, Gamasutra has got another one. It’s not just a clever title, Al is really giving the scoop on the development of the game, showing the power and cost of turning to the crowd for funding.
- The news keeps getting worse this week for EA. First we started to hear word that Star Wars: The Old Republic subscriptions were down, and that’s bad enough, but then their stocks rage quit and now some are even talking about a bigger company swooping in to takeover. I don’t know how much of this is smoke or not, but even talking about a company being taken over is bad, right?
- There is more Portal news this week, which means we’re having an awesome week. Valve released their level editor for Portal II, and let’s just say that some people are getting all Minecraft about it. Apparently over at YouTube a user called MystX1 released a video of a 4-bit binary adder made using the new level editor. I’ve gotta say, if I was smart enough to know what that is I would be really impressed. Again, thanks Reddit!
- Finally some news about one of my favorite extra-terrestrial combat units – no, not X-Com: Enemy Unkown silly, Xenonauts. Ah yes Xenonauts, the spiritual successor to the original X-Com game before it had an official remake. I do admit that I had forgotten about this game ever since Firaxis debuted their official reboot. Still, it looks like exactly what it says it is, a spiritual successor. So if you’re not hip on the changes Firaxis is making head on over the Xenonauts Kickstarter page and take a look at what they have to offer, there’s even a link to download their latest build!
Tags: ea, Leisure Suit Larry, NECA, Portal Gun Replica, Portal II Workshop, SWTOR, Xenonauts