Duracell has revealed their new accessory for the PS3, aptly and simply named the Duracell Extender. What this piece of hardware does is offer additional slots for the PS3 hardware, including slots for SD cards, memory sticks, and three additional USB ports. Not only that, but it can charge and store two DualShock controllers, which is really useful.
The Extender holds its own power supply, meaning the console can be switched off and the extender can still charge. The hardware itself shows its battery life so you wont get caught with your pants down when your battery in the controller runs out of power.
The full list of features from Duracell follows.
- A slot for SD cards as well as one for memory sticks
- Three additional USB ports at the back
- Can be fixed soundly to the PlayStation by means of stable guide rails on its base
- Matches the look of the PlayStation 3
- Charges two wireless controllers at the same time
- Charging status displays at the front
- Independent of the PlayStation with its own power supply
- Sturdy storage compartment for wireless controllers
- Only compatible with the Sony PS3 Slim
- Useful addition to the Sony PS3
- In an overall width (with console) of most stereo components
- With detailed instructions in many languages
The USB ports are the best addition I find, which greatly expands the PS3’s capabilities and also solves issues with having to switch things around all the time. Various PS3 models are lacking in amounts of USB ports which can be a royal pain to some people who have multiple peripherals.
Consider this a day-one purchase for me, my room is a huge mess and just about anything that will let me put stuff somewhere I can easily forget about it is a plus. It’s rare I see accessories for consoles that are useful to this level, hopefully it works well and doesn’t come with too many compatibility and durability problems.